Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises - Tash

Everyone who knows me will be familiar with my love of trilogies and as the final trilogy for Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight series the finale wasn't too bad. I loved the constant cameos throughout the film, Cillian Murphy aka The Scarecrow from Batman Begins as the very decisive Judge of Bane's  new world order, was a nice subtle touch (and there certainly isn't enough of that in today's Hollywood blockbusters).

My biggest issue with the film was not the storyline, or the cinematography, it was the sometimes shallow characters (whether through portrayal or writing) that caused a number of sighs and eye rolls (and may have contributed to my frustration which resulted in me asking the couple with a screaming baby to please leave the cinema).  Christian Bale is a great tortured soul - no arguments here, however I am not sure how necessary the deeply intense, and quite gravelly voice used when he donned 'The Batman' suit is to the portrayal of the character.  I did love the referral to The Batman not Batman throughout the film.

When one refers to The Batman we are no longer talking about the man (which obviously would be Batman) but the symbol, the myth, the concept - this is the power of adding that simple little word 'the'.  When you watch the trilogy again, take note of who calls him The Batman (usually his enemies) as opposed to those who call him Batman (usually those who are his friends).  But I digress, who was next?  Oh yes!  Let's talk about catwoman.  Any woman who has the guts to put on that catsuit has my vote.  Anne Hathaway was good.  Surprisingly good,  as the stunning Selina Kyle/Catwoman and her shoes were HOT!!!  Not a hint of a princess with a diary anywhere.  Whilst she lacked the silver screen goddess sex appeal needed to be a truly amazing catwoman (please refer to Michelle Pfieffer, Meow) she held her own and I really enjoyed her character. The ballroom scene was good, but it did not have the intensity of the same scene in Batman Forever, when Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle discovered each others alter egos.  On the whole, I liked her and thought she went along way to carrying the movie.

This cannot be said for Bane, who I found blandly evil (not even the bizarre breathing apparatus - we did this in Star Wars people) could truly convince me of his evilness (although the high collared sheep skin jacket did make me think he was bad - cause nothing good is coming out of that fashion faux par).  I like Tom Hardy. But I like him good and quirky.  Not blandly evil and dressed poorly.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt (one of my favourite up and comers) was great,  played a very Jimmy (from spiderman) potential sidekick part.  For those of you who have not seen the move do not read on past the 'spoiler alert'.

One of the things that really hit me throughout the movie was the cleverness of choreographing the fight scenes in broad daylight.  Batman fight scenes have traditionally been choreographed in an extremely dark and gothic setting.  Fight scenes in the day, really enhance the concept of The Dark Knight rising out of the darkness into the light.  A nice use of scene portrayal to really emphasize then underlying concept of the film.

The movie I gave a solid 3/5 with a well done to Christopher Nolen for wrapping up a trilogy with respect and finesse.

A satisfied Tash.

***************SPOILER ALERT**************











Now, let's talk about twists!!!!  Joseph Gordan-Levitt, character John Blake, real name Robin, gets the batcave.  Awesome.  Awesome. Awesome.  Some of you will think this is setting Blake up to be Robin, but I think that's the beauty of this twist.  There is no standalone Robin.  Batman is the hero, Robin is the support act.  There have been many times in the different batman renditions when Robin has stood in for Batman, the teaser here is I believe the final scene in the Batcave is inferring this will happen permanently.  That Blake will become the new Batman.

Now who thinks trilogy #2 is just around the corner????





3 comments:

  1. Great review! I was surprised Alfred had more character development than the other characters, but leave it to Christopher Nolan to leave us hanging in the end! After the movie I kept thinking what Joseph would end up as eventually, either as an Azrael-type character (comics version, taking Batman's place after Bane broke his back) or something like Batman Beyond (cartoons version where Bruce is now old), given Batman's propensity for taking orphans under his wing (yeap, i'm a geek!).

    Anyway, will be following your blog from now on! =)

    PS Isn't Jimmy the sidekick of Superman or am I missing something? Haha =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. QTC - At least you are in good company with the geekness (you won't be lonely whilst I am around).

    I loved Alfred, and I agree, the emotion that was wrung from the growth in character (although I must admit I did miss the slightly cold, very much aloof and appropriately sarcastic earlier rendition) brought an entirely new dimension to the Batman enterprise. Now that I think about it, so did the intense physical and emotional pain we saw in Bruce Wayne (via a very convincing Bale - was it too much to ask him to pick up a chainsaw just once so I could relive my American Psycho fascination?). I'm almost sad it's over, but is there the potential for another trilogy out there with the very exciting Joseph Gordon-Levitt as a younger hipper, less intense batman (there better be).

    ReplyDelete